A healthy diet should consist of NUTRIENT-RICH functional foods, like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Functional foods are foods that offer HEALTH BENEFITS extending beyond their nutritional value. Some types contain supplements or other additional ingredients designed to improve health.
Benefits of Functional Foods
Functional foods contain several POWERFUL and nutrient-rich VITAMINS, MINERALS, and PROBIOTICS. They not only prevent nutrient deficiencies but they also protect against disease and promote proper growth and development.
What are the benefits and the best examples of functional foods that just about everyone could use? Take a look at this list of 6 ESSENTIAL BENEFITS of functional foods and learn which foods qualify as functional.
Maqui berries, goji berries, acai berries, elderberries, and raspberries are an excellent source of VITAMIN and MINERAL support.
● Goji: Goji berries have been used in traditional medicine to prevent illness and infection.
● Acai: Acai is incredibly rich in antioxidants, boasting three times the amount found in blueberries.
● Elderberry: Elderberries have 10 grams of fiber per cup, which is about 36% of the daily value.
● Raspberry: The fiber in raspberries can also help manage or even prevent heart disease.
Turmeric, ginger, and lemon oil are powerful natural ingredients containing ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, ANTIOXIDANT, ANTIBACTERIAL, and ANTIFUNGAL properties.
● Turmeric: Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a bright yellow spice that has been used throughout Asia for centuries.Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
● Ginger: Ginger is a tropical flowering plant that originally grew in Southeast Asia. Ginger has beneficial effects on the enzymes trypsin and pancreatic lipase, essential for digestion.
● Lemon Oil: Lemon oil is extracted from the skin of the lemon, commonly used for aromatherapy. Lemon oil can perk up your mood and boost your brainpower.
The powerful combination of Maca Root and coffee increases physical ENDURANCE, MEMORY, CONCENTRATION and REDUCES STRESS and FATIGUE, and for hopeless romantics, sexual desire.
● Maca Root: Maca is the root of a vegetable native to the Andes region of Peru and is said to boost energy and libido. Maca root powder is high in carbs and rich in several nutrients, including vitamin C, copper, and iron.
● Coffee: Brewed from the roasted seeds, or "beans," of the coffee plant, coffee breaks down body fat, making free fatty acids available to act as fuel.
Hibiscus, rosehip, and 5-HTP raise the serotonin levels in your body, giving you a naturally happy “high” and PREVENTING symptoms of DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, and other body stressors.
● Hibiscus: Hibiscus plants are known for their large, colorful flowers with medicinal uses to help treat various conditions. Hibiscus may help people with hypertension and type 2 diabetes.
● Rosehip: Rose hips are the round portion of the rose flower just below the petals that contain the seeds of the rose plant. Rosehip can normalize blood sugar levels and keep cholesterol in check
● 5-HTP: 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is a chemical that the body makes from tryptophan, an essential amino acid that you get from food. 5-HTP is thought to treat depression by increasing serotonin levels.
Lavender, chamomile, and melatonin are the perfect trio to LET GO of DAILY STRESS and ANXIETY so you achieve a deep and restful sleep.
● Lavender: Lavender is a well-known and fragrant plant with gray-green foliage and upright flower spikes. Lavender contains linalool with anti-inflammatory components that help with pain relief.
● Chamomile: Chamomile is an herb that comes from the daisy-like flowers of the Asteraceae plant family. Chamomile can protect against diarrhea, stomach ulcers, nausea, and gas, due to its anti-inflammatory effects.
● Melatonin: Melatonin is the "sleep hormone" and is a central part of the body's sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin is most commonly used for insomnia and improving the overall quality of sleep.
Adaptogens are plants, such as mushrooms, that help REDUCE the effects of STRESS on your body. Lions Mane and Chaga are the mushrooms responsible for PROTECTING the BRAIN and body’s central nervous system neurons and enhancing memory.
● Chaga: Chaga (Inonotus obliquus) is a mushroom that grows mainly on birch trees in northern Europe, Asia, Canada, and the northeastern United States. Chaga contains many antioxidants that may reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the so-called “bad” cholesterol.
Learn more about Functional Chocolate Bites!